Bernadette told me all the way there that she did not want me to leave her in class. She held my hand tightly as we walked inside. The teacher, Denise, smiled at her and said, "Bernadette, are you going to dance with us?" A pause. Then, "OK!" My hand was released, and she trotted off.
After class, Denise informed me that Bernadette is "a live one" who "loves to twirl." (I would, too, if I had that skirt. Thank you, Pete and Magda!!)
Bernadette's verdict on the experience was more nuanced. "We didn't dance," she said. "I want to dance." I'm not sure what they did (from the other side of the door, it sounded cute), but apparently it did not fit Bee's conception of dancing. Upon being asked if she wanted to go back next week, however, she did not hesitate to say yes.
2 comments:
Very sweet, and very brave, Bernadette! Also, I am extremely curious now to know what she thinks of as dancing. I wonder if she thought it would be like a wedding?
Beautiful! And congratulations on the brave Bernadette!
Love,
Grandma Anne
Post a Comment