Thursday, January 29, 2015

Snapshots of the week

After a long school day, Isaiah and Kateri went out with Daddy and Grandpa; I could hardly keep my eyes open and was preparing to lie down with Mara, when Bernadette asked me to read more of The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  "Oh, Bernadette," I said.  "I really need a breather."  Pause.  "So," she said, "I'm your breather?"

As I tried to finish getting supper on the table tonight, I asked Bernadette to check on Mara and let me know if she still seemed happy on the living room floor with her play gym.  Isaiah must have taken it upon himself to check as well, because a minute later he came up to me and reported, "Mara's look is solemn."

Last night, during a lively game of Go Fish, Bernadette insisted she had the full set of Angelfish cards.
Grandma: "You have three.  There are four Angelfish.  You need one more."
B: "NO!  I have ALL the Angelfish!"
The above dialogue was repeated a few times, until the furious Bernadette began throwing cards and Grandma decided it would be wisest to proceed to the next player's turn.
G: "Your turn, Kateri."
K: "Bernadette, do you have any Angelfish?"
Epilogue: B handed over her three cards without a fuss, and K happily laid the full set of four Angelfish cards on the floor in front of her.  I don't remember who won the game, but there was much laughter.


2 comments:

Liz said...

The Angelfish story made me laugh, too :) As did "So .... I'm your breather?" I think that "I'm your breather" should definitely be a saying.

Anne said...

Wow for Kateri! So cool, calm, collected . . . and calculating :) Good poker strategy Kateri. I think most two year olds would have demonstrated having the 4th card!!!

And bravo for Bernadette for being so gracious.