Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Kateri's weaning

I told Kateri a few times that soon she would stop nursing and we would give her a special weaning gift to celebrate, but she was not interested. Then, on Saturday morning, she suddenly crawled out of my lap after a very short nursing and said, "I'm all done nursing now."

"Are you ready to stop and get a weaning gift?"

"Yes."

Done deal. Within minutes we were on our way to the thrift store, where Kateri picked out a purse and a cell phone. (Yes, this girl is growing up.) Then I asked her if she wanted to have them now and not nurse anymore or nurse one more time and get them tomorrow. She chose now.

Nursing has come up only once since then. Monday morning she sat on my lap and said with a sly smile, "Mama, I want to nurse because I can't find my phone." I called her a joker and we shared a laugh.

And that was that. Onward.

No comments: