Monday, August 18, 2008

Here are some details of the birth, as I described it to PT. I'm sure Marian's version is a little different.

After Peter and Magda left for the airport the morning after we went to the hospital, the plot thickened. Secret agents who had infiltrated Phelps Memorial Hospital began walking the halls disguised as medical personnel. For a while, I wasn’t sure who was a doctor or nurse. I started drinking Marian’s water to make sure it wasn’t poisoned. And then shots rang out …

Actually nothing quite so noirish happened. Marian continued to be confined to bed. They moved us to the room next door since we wouldn’t need the hot tub (nobody asked me if I wanted to work through the labor in the tub!). Marian started to fantasize about cheeseburgers and other food she’d eat when they allowed her to have food again. In the meanwhile, she subsisted on lollipops and water. If only we could all be so lucky.

Liz and Mom and Clare came down to hang out with us. We watched a movies as they upped the labor-inducing drugs. Late in the evening Marian started having some very hard contractions but the baby’s pulse went down again and they had to do the C-section.

In the operating room when they delivered him at 12:53 a.m. on Aug. 9, 2008, the 7-pound, 10-ounce, 19-inch Isaiah gurgled once and went into a full-throated roar that I’ve been translating like this: “Where’s my mom? I liked it in there. It’s cold out here. Where’s my mom? I want my mom.”

They cleaned him up, measured him and made prints of his feet (Paul astutely noted that apparently he only has four toes on each foot). He yelled the whole time. They swaddled him, brought him over to me and kicked us out of the hospital. OK, that last statement is untrue. He seemed to maybe recognize my voice but kept on yelling until I held him where Marian could touch his face. Then he was quiet because he knew his mom was there.

I got to hold him in the room for a few minutes and then they brought Marian back. The midwife and Mom helped Marian and Isaiah nurse for the first time. He crawled around on her chest until he figured it out.

Then he went to the nursery to be tortured, I mean measured, by the nurses. Marian was pretty worn out and did not like the trip back to the room. Maybe it was because she did not feel like using her numchuk skills on the secret agents after having abdominal surgery.

About 5 a.m. they brought Isaiah back to our room from the nursery. I put him on Marian’s chest and watched them for about an hour until I could no longer keep my eyes open. I thought I might have to take him back to the nursery but I saw Marian’s eyes starting to open so I dozed and looked up every time I heard movement. When I saw Marian was awake, I went to sleep.

In the next episode: Will our baby super hero escape the agents of evil? Will His super mom ever eat solid food again or be forced to eat Jello until the end of time? Can Matt change a diaper without a biohazard suit?

No comments: