Dialogue
Setting: Friday night in a kitchen in Bristol. Matt talking to Marian, mentions he talked to his dad, who had driven to Manhattan (Kansas) with Aunt Marilyn.
Isaiah: Did you want Marilyn? (Translation: I want to play with Marilyn.)
Matt: Marilyn's not here; she's in Kansas.
Isaiah: Marilyn's at work.
Matt: Marilyn's not at work; she's retired.
Isaiah: Marilyn's tired.
Setting: The swingset in the Seeleys' backyard in Brewster, N.Y. Isaiah is on the multiperson swing facing his cousin Katherine DiDona. Katherine gestures wildly at something, which we discover is a fuzzy white bug with long black tendrils. Matt removes it from the bar, first knocking it to the floor of the swing, then the ground, and carries it to the trees 10 feet away.
Matt: It's only a caterpillar. It'll turn into a butterfly.
Isaiah: It'll turn into a shark!
Isaiah: Did you want Marilyn? (Translation: I want to play with Marilyn.)
Matt: Marilyn's not here; she's in Kansas.
Isaiah: Marilyn's at work.
Matt: Marilyn's not at work; she's retired.
Isaiah: Marilyn's tired.
Setting: The swingset in the Seeleys' backyard in Brewster, N.Y. Isaiah is on the multiperson swing facing his cousin Katherine DiDona. Katherine gestures wildly at something, which we discover is a fuzzy white bug with long black tendrils. Matt removes it from the bar, first knocking it to the floor of the swing, then the ground, and carries it to the trees 10 feet away.
Matt: It's only a caterpillar. It'll turn into a butterfly.
Isaiah: It'll turn into a shark!
2 comments:
Love it. Maybe it is a shark butterfly!
Love,
Grandma Anne
HAHAHAHAAHAHH! For many people, retired is the opposite of tired, little Isaiah. And I love imagining that you're already scaring/flirting with little girls by conjuring sharks. ;)
I have to think this is a direct result of reading Calvin & Hobbes with him ;) One of Isaiah's favorite panels involves Calvin turning into a dinosaur. Coincidence?! I think not!
Post a Comment