\
Not gonna lie. This is a picture from yesterday: Gideon stomping in puddles. When you're 1, everything is a discovery. When you're 18, you think you know everything. Later, when you're 47ish and old enough to know you don't know everything, you still get surprised, but maybe you don't view the muddy water as a joyous discovery.
I waded into Walmart today. There are so many oddities: Cat food all gone but plenty of kitty litter. Bread but no flour. I managed to fill most of the requests from home, from my aunt, and from our neighbors. I realized you can't touch anything that hasn't been touched by other people. Anyway, as I've been telling people, if you run out of bacon, I'll wind up the catapult and launch some your way. We have a strategic reserve in our freezers.
While keeping a distance, I also tried to say hi to people and joke around. I saw one of my senior English boys who didn't know what was going on with school. I assured him he'd be talking to me before the end of the year. We had another call and I ran in to pick up books from my room. I also left a bunch of books by the seventh- and eighth-grade lockers, as well as packets of flower, fruit and vegetable seeds for the kids. They'll be coming in tomorrow to grab things from their lockers. Sounds like the district is doing a good job of making sure everyone has internet.
At home we had some geat sausage made by John L. Zimmer with our pasta and sauce. Marian also made cream puffs! Dad's project for the day was to haul a load of donations from the thrift store to the mission in Lincoln. All his contact was by phone, and they unloaded for him. He can spout the contact rules back at me.
For various reasons, I remembered "I'm changing my name to Chrysler" and am now listening to Arlo Guthrie on Youtube as I type. Earlier, the kids and I played "the flashlight game" to sounds of the Spice Girls channel on Pandora (give every kid a flashlight, turn out the lights, dance around, have parades through the house -- every kid has to have a chance if this is to work, and call out various actions such as fire fist, scary face, wave, circles, off and on, etc.)
My far-off aunts and uncles and siblings are swapping family news via email, which makes the distance less for all of us. Go and do likewise. I love you guys. Holler if you need anything.
I waded into Walmart today. There are so many oddities: Cat food all gone but plenty of kitty litter. Bread but no flour. I managed to fill most of the requests from home, from my aunt, and from our neighbors. I realized you can't touch anything that hasn't been touched by other people. Anyway, as I've been telling people, if you run out of bacon, I'll wind up the catapult and launch some your way. We have a strategic reserve in our freezers.
While keeping a distance, I also tried to say hi to people and joke around. I saw one of my senior English boys who didn't know what was going on with school. I assured him he'd be talking to me before the end of the year. We had another call and I ran in to pick up books from my room. I also left a bunch of books by the seventh- and eighth-grade lockers, as well as packets of flower, fruit and vegetable seeds for the kids. They'll be coming in tomorrow to grab things from their lockers. Sounds like the district is doing a good job of making sure everyone has internet.
At home we had some geat sausage made by John L. Zimmer with our pasta and sauce. Marian also made cream puffs! Dad's project for the day was to haul a load of donations from the thrift store to the mission in Lincoln. All his contact was by phone, and they unloaded for him. He can spout the contact rules back at me.
For various reasons, I remembered "I'm changing my name to Chrysler" and am now listening to Arlo Guthrie on Youtube as I type. Earlier, the kids and I played "the flashlight game" to sounds of the Spice Girls channel on Pandora (give every kid a flashlight, turn out the lights, dance around, have parades through the house -- every kid has to have a chance if this is to work, and call out various actions such as fire fist, scary face, wave, circles, off and on, etc.)
My far-off aunts and uncles and siblings are swapping family news via email, which makes the distance less for all of us. Go and do likewise. I love you guys. Holler if you need anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment